• rss

Join Us on Social Networks!

Hair Loss After Pregnancy – Is It Normal?


Category : Pregnancy

While pregnancy is a wonderful time in a woman’s life, it can take its toll on her body as well. Eating healthy, getting plenty of sleep, and taking prenatal vitamins can prevent some of them or at least lessen their impact. One thing that plagues many women that has little to do with a woman’s health is hair loss after pregnancy. In order to better understand this condition it is important to understand more about how hair works.

To begin with, only about 90% of the hair on anyone’s head is growing at any given time. The other 10% is in what is known as the dormant phase. This dormant hair falls out about every two to three months. Due to the changes in hormone levels during pregnancy, an increased number of hair follicles go into this dormant phase causing a number of different reactions from the hair. Some women report that their hair actually gets thicker while still others complain that their hair begins to fall out.

It is important to not get too upset when hair loss begins to take place. Remembering that there is always hair in the hair brush even when you are not pregnant should help to alleviate some of the concerns. Hair loss after pregnancy is normal and should not send anyone into a panic. Once the body returns to its pre-pregnancy hormonal balance the condition will correct itself.

Excess hair loss that can occur immediately after delivery is known as telogen effluvium, and it can take place from one to five months after the birth of a child. This condition affects about 50% of women and it is normal. While this is something that causes many women to wonder if they will lose all of their hair, that will not be the case. The hair follicles are just catching up with their normal cycle and once this happens, hair growth will return to normal.

There are some things that can be done to create a healthier looking head of hair and to reduce hair loss during and shortly after pregnancy.

• Speak with your physician about your hormonal health and if prescribed prenatal vitamins take them

• Avoid wearing your hair in tight styles that will pull or stress the hair

• Eat a well-balanced diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables

• Shampoos and conditioners containing biotin and silica should be used

• Be gentle with your hair when it is wet

• Use the cool settings on hair dryers or other instruments you use on the hair

• Supplements like Vitamin B complex, Biotin, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc used only in the recommended doses

When adding supplements to the diet you should always consult with your physician, but eating a well-balanced diet, and taking care of yourself are some of the best things that can be done to protect the health of your own body while providing the needed nutrition for the growing baby. It will also help to reduce hair loss after pregnancy.

Comments are closed.